[LMB] OT: The joy of big cities

Azalais Aranxta tiamat at tsoft.com
Sat Sep 6 19:26:21 BST 2008

On Sat, 6 Sep 2008, Ed Burkhead wrote:

> Damien wrote:
> > For me, Manhattan and Tokyo *are* better.  And while people
> > talk about suburban yards for kids, teens are better off in cities
> > where they can take transit, rather than being stuck in
> > dependent boredom.
>
> Yep.  We who grew up in fly-over country did suffer from some teenage
> boredom.
>
> No access to teen bars, malls, street gang membership, no easy access to
> adult-illegal drugs.  There were small town substitutes:  those who wanted
> could get beer and drive out in the country to booze.  The "street gang"
> aspect was pretty anemic - just a small group of friends hanging out
> together - no gun fights, no revenge killings, no big city "fun."

He said the city, not the ghetto.

I personally think that I would have spent far less of my life
from age 14-18 getting drunk, having meaningless sex, getting
stoned, and hanging out with the only fans I knew, some of whom
were total crazycakes--one guy believed that Middle-Earth was
real and that he could "channel" Gandalf--if there had been more
first-run movies, good libraries, museums, fandom, volunteer
programmes, theatre groups and activism in my life--and most
important of all, a lot more and a wider variety of people.

But I lived in West Virginia so we relieved our teenage boredom
by getting intoxicated, playing D&D and sleeping with each other
in various combinations.  And we were the "good" kids--the bad
ones had actual fights instead of fighting with dice.

Also, since there was no public transport, on the occasions when
nothing but the hand of G-d itself would have stopped us from
getting high on something, somebody still had to drive.

~malfoy :)