[LMB] OT: Alternative Transport

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Mon Sep 8 00:53:04 BST 2008

On Sun, Sep 07, 2008 at 07:24:10PM -0400, Elizabeth McCoy wrote:

> I just realized, unhappily, why robot cars are unlikely to do as well as
> one might hope -- unless there's a dedicated staff to clean them up. The
> tragedy of the commons. If my kid gets car sick in a 'bot car... Well,

Automatic photo of the state of the car before and after renting, and
charging the renter for excessive damages, including profit lost because
the car had to be taken out of service or was rejected by other
passengers as unsuitable -- in the latter case, charges may go to
compensate the later passengers for lost time.

Regarding the whole private cars thing:
http://www.unitedjustice.com/death-statistics.html
around 1999-2000 15,000 Americans were murdered; 20,000 died of flu
(many of those perhaps old people due to die of something soon); and
42,000 died in car crashes.  That last is like 14 9/11's every year.  To
my surprise, over 94% are credited to highways -- I don't know how much
of that is long distance driving vs. trying to get around a city
quickly.

Even without banning cars, an aggressive program of denying licenses to
high risk drivers will increase the population of people who'll need
effective alternatives to driving to enjoy their "right to travel".

-xx- Damien X-)