[LMB] (LQ) #30: Laisa as Empress (Sun. Sept.7th)

queenortart queenortart at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 13:49:29 BST 2008

2008/9/8 Elizabeth Holden <azurite at rogers.com>:
> --- queenortart wrote:
>
>> > I started to have a lot more time for Princess Diana
>> > when I started thinking about all the things that Laisa
>> > wouldn't be able to do, and how the press would treat her.
>
> I think you're using the wrong model.  Barrayar is not modern England. I suspect a more accurate model would be the Tsarina Alexandra.  I don't think that kind of abuse by the paparazzi would be tolerated on Barrayar - Simon wouldn't allow it. Neither would Ezar or Gregor.

Sorry obviously didn't explain that as clearly as it was in my head.
I'm not saying that I think the press would treat her the same, since
they would be descended upon like a ton of bricks, but that I
developed some sympathy for Diana whereas before I had thought her
just a spoiled brat.

Sue

--
"I've got a great ambition to die of exhaustion rather than boredom."
Thomas Carlyle