[LMB] OT: Alternative Transport - Lay-bys

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Wed Sep 10 04:07:37 BST 2008

On Tue, 9 Sep 2008, Elizabeth Holden wrote:
> That's a term I know and recognize.
>
> > What are they called in Canada,
>
> I'd call it a rest stop. Maybe a lookout, depending on location, if it
> was scenic.  I might call it a lay-by but I'm not sure how common that
> is in Canada.

I'd call a simple place for a car or two to stop a lay-by. I'd call a
place with a good view or picnic tables or rest rooms a lookout or rest
stop. There's lots of the latter in the Rockies.

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

"Only the rigor and discipline of the delimited can create art. Musicologists considering
Bach, who worked within desperately restrictive format, will concur as will those
considering the sonata form. The sonnet and the eight-bar chorus of almost all popular song
and operetta give similar testimony. It was the very restraint with which science fiction
was cloaked from the outset which gave the genre its discipline and force." -- Barry Malzberg