[LMB] OT: Transportation and others

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 10 04:31:50 BST 2008

Malfoy writes:
In the 1950s, society's planners decided that suburbs should be
the wave of the future.  Before WWII the landscape was completely
different (and public transport widely used).  But the 1950s and
1960s were a bubble economy that depended heavily on cheap oil
and environmentally unsustainable practises.  We need to make
public transport more accessible all over the country; we need to
make driver licencing more difficult; and we need to stop giving
people incentives to move to the suburbs and start giving them
incentives to live in cities and towns--small towns, if you
prefer them to cities--where it's not necessary to drive
everywhere and where it's possible to shop locally for locally
produced items.

I agree very much with this. There's a lot that can be done, and isn't -- some of it is even economically feasible, but drivers fall into bad habits, and find it hard to change or even imagine a positive change.

Micki

      New Email names for you!
Hurry before someone else does!