[LMB] Food riff...Re: OT: Transportation and others (long)

Azalais Aranxta tiamat at tsoft.com
Wed Sep 10 09:41:29 BST 2008

On Wed, 10 Sep 2008, kerry weisselberg wrote:

> but when I see low-fat (and usually high-carb) diets failing
> sometimes-desperate people, I despair at the advice they are
> following.

I think we're conflating the issue of what you have to do to lose
weight with what makes it harder or easier for some people.

Bottom line, if you eat fewer calories than you expend, you will
lose weight. Period.

The problem with high-carb/low-fat eating isn't that you won't
lose weight if you stick to the diet.

The problem is that high-carb/low-fat diets are so hard to
stick to, and no diet works if you don't actually follow it.

Many people, and I am one of them, have to limit sugars and
starches because eating too much of that stuff makes us crave
more, and then we don't stay under our calorie limits.

If I am going to eat something sweet and not screw up my diet for
the day, it had pretty much better be fruit or a Luna bar.  I
will eat white KitKats too, but I know not to do that too often
because I will not stop at one.  I can stop at one Luna bar
easily.

Fortunately I do like Splenda :)

~malfoy :)