[LMB] Another convert!

Francis Turner francis.turner at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 16:12:05 BST 2008

Interspersed

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 1:07 PM, Natali Vilic <natali.vilic at zd.t-com.hr> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am new here, so please forgive me if I may break some
> rules (it is such a long list...) I hope that the general
> forum rules will do :)

Welcome. Rules are made to be broken. As far as I can tell (I'm fairly
new here too) the main rule is to "play the ball not the man" (i.e.
argue the case not the person who wrote it) and not bring up obvious
hot topics.

> Anyways, although I am new to this mailing list, I
> am definitely not a new Bujold fan, for I am reading
> the Vorkosigan series the last ten years at least
> once a year (or more, if I get low-spirited for any reason
> - I call these books my Prozac ;))

I'm in the more than once a year camp but I've only been reading them
for c.5 years

> I was trying to introduce these books to my son, who is
> almost 16 - and it was not working very well.
> I was unpleasantly surprised, because basically
> we share lots of interests. So, I was wondering,
> how old is this co-worker's son - maybe the books
> are a bit advanced for my boy too (he is a
> fan of The Lord of the Rings though, and read the
> whole lot a several times) or is it a completely
> different set of issues.

I think you might just tell him that LMB is perhaps a bit too grown up
and so clearly not suited for a teen. Tell him if he doesn't like it
it is because he needs a bit more maturity and experience. Not only
does this have the benefit of being mostly true it also plays neatly
into that teenage rebel thing of doing whatever parents disapprove of

> As I think that her Ladyship's work is very
> educational, I would like to use here help in
> forming my son's personality, so this is an important
> thing for me.

The heart of the matter is honour I think Plenty of other SF and
Fantasy also hews to the honour meme so maybe you can find something
else. You might perhaps try some other Baen books (and remember that
Baen's free library means the ebook versions are free - and addictive)

> Just for the record, my count of converts for the
> last two months is 3 (possibly 4 - I have no way to
> check out on this fourth person) :)
Higher than mine then. But then I've not actively pushed Bujold
--
http://www.di2.nu/blog.htm
Faber's Fourth Law: