[LMB] Mispronunciations

Ken Wright wizard at bnnorth.net
Thu Sep 11 14:21:29 BST 2008

On Thu, 2008-09-11 at 01:51 -0400, Lois Aleta Fundis wrote:
> Ken Wright wrote:
> >  Morgantown is the county seat of Monongalia County,
> > so named because of a spelling error in the county's organizational
> > paperwork, perhaps from another variant pronunciation of that river's
> > name.
> >
> No. This is a misconception. "Monongalia" is a Latinization* of the name
> of the river. As was "Yohogania"**, another Virginia county -- this was
> in 1776, during the Revolution (Patrick Henry was governor), long before
> we seceded from those seceders in Richmond --  formed at the same time,
> and named after another river, a tributary of the Mon in fact.

Hmm.  The misspelling explanation is the one I remember from West
Virginia History class, back in Eighth Grade.

I did a little checking, and WVU has a website with some history of the
county (http://www.polsci.wvu.edu/wv/Monongalia/monhistory.html) and it
says "It is not known if the spelling was changed on purpose or was an
error."  Oh well.

Ken
--
I'm not scared of dyin' and I don't really care.
If it's peace you find in dyin' well then let the time be near.