[LMB] Fun mispronounciations OT:

Eric Oppen technomad at intergate.com
Thu Sep 11 18:36:45 BST 2008

Quoting Stacey Hill <stacey at xtra.co.nz>:

> My most embarrasing one was epitome.
>
> I pronounced it "epi-tome"  (rhymes with tone)
>
> Fortunately I was about 14 and my mother found it hilarious, but I
> have NEVER forgotten that.

> In my circle of friends we specifically mispronounce a few words:
>
> Duvet - should be Doo-vay - I pronounce as it looks Dove-it
>
> Bicyclist - I pronounce Bike-list
>
> Picturesque and Grotesque - Picture-skew and Grot-eh-skew
>
> *shrug* its a thing we do, and it works for us :)

I used to pronounce "misled" "my-seld;"  I eventually did figure it
out before I embarrassed myself.

A big, big, BIG part of the problem here is that English absorbs words
willy-nilly, without altering the spelling, often as not, and foreign
languages' spelling conventions are nothing like English.  After less
than one semester of high-school German, I could look at a German word
I'd never seen before and pronounce it perfectly; I remember wishing
that English was that way.  I never had trouble with spelling the way
a lot of people do, but I am compassionate enough to want to make
others' lives easier.