[LMB] LQ #30: Laisa as Empress

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 12 00:43:15 BST 2008

Bear Master writes:
> Keep in mind she will be building on the momentum of the changes Cordelia
>has been able to put in place in the previous 30 years.

Watsonian take is that . . . text ev shows that Barrayar is an extremely masculinist planet, and I really think it's going to take more than 30 years of one woman (a "furriner" at that) who is for the most part working the system behind the male scenes to make a significant change. Look how long it took women to get the vote in our own times and world. And even after having the vote for, what, 90 years? (in the States), how much political change have we seen because of it? Barrayar is changing, but it ain't Komarr.

Doylist: It's going to be pretty boring if Laisa has a smooth ride to the top. There's simply no story there. You know what would be interesting, in the "worst case" style of thing? (Lois, if you read this, you may want to skip the rest of the post.)

Laisa gets fed up, divorces Gregor, and takes the kids to Komarr. Gregor goes off the deep end because this, too, has been taken from him, and . . . complications ensue.

Micki

      New Email addresses available on Yahoo!
Hurry before someone else does!