[LMB] LQ 30: Laisa as Empress

Bear Master bearmaster0 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 22:21:16 BST 2008

On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 6:11 PM, Diana Hagan <diana.hagan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 8:07 PM, M. Haller Yamada
> <thefabmadamem at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Now, extrapolate that to the Empress of Barrayar. I think Laisa will be
> finding things fall into three categories: 1) things she can do with no
> problem, 2) things she can't do because they really don't work in a
> Barrayaran context, and 3) things she supposedly can't do, but finds she can
> do after all. Oh, and maybe I should add a fourth: 4) things she's supposed
> to do, but can let slide with varying degrees of fuss.
>
> This reminds me of Cordelia's list of social/sexual rules.  Do you
> think she shares it with Laisa?
>
> ---Diana

I am sure that, as Vicereigina, she would see it as her duty to privately
brief her Empress-to-be on this important matter, just so she doesn't step
on the same social landmines Cordelia herself did discovering the list.  And
as Laisa is Komerian, and while not Beta Colony Komar is more cosmopolitan
than Barryar, she will be at first amused, then mildly shocked as she
realizes they do take these things seriously, then deeply grateful.