[LMB] OT: gender applied to inanimate objects

M. Haller Yamada thefabmadamem at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 13 23:11:37 BST 2008

Matija comments:
In my natice language, a sofa is female, but a couch is male. Make of it
what you will.

(-: A-ha! So, it is much as I suspected. Lounging around can happen regardless of gender!

May I ask something of the listees who have gendered languages? What happens when a loanword comes into the language? How is the gender assigned? For example, say "burrito" wanders into your language one dark, summer night? Does it become male (in accordance to the original Spanish), or does it take on different genders? (Not sure how widespread burritos are . . . .)

Micki

      New Email addresses available on Yahoo!
Hurry before someone else does!