[LMB] Hooking the teen (was: Another convert!)

Karen L. Black karen at plamondon.com
Sun Sep 14 14:39:57 BST 2008

Natali Vilic writes:

> I was trying to introduce these books to my son, who is almost 16 - and it
was not working very well.
I was unpleasantly surprised, because basically we share lots of interests.
So, I was wondering, how old is this co-worker's son - maybe the books are a
bit advanced for my boy too (he is a fan of The Lord of the Rings though,
and read the whole lot a several times) or is it a completely different set
of issues.

I asked my son, now 17, what Bujold book got him hooked. He said it was
"Curse of Chalion." If I recall correctly, he first encountered it as an
audiobook, which our family listens to on long drives. He's now listened to
all the available audiobooks, and read the rest.

Other authors he enjoys are Terry Pratchett, Naomi Novik, China Melville and
Neil Gaiman.

Hope this is of some help,
Karen Black
Blodgett, OR