[LMB] OT: gender applied to inanimate objects

Natali Vilic natali.vilic at zd.t-com.hr
Sun Sep 14 21:01:07 BST 2008

Micki wrote:
>May I ask something of the listees who have
>gendered languages?
>What happens when a loanword comes into
>the language? How is the gender assigned?
>For example, say "burrito" wanders into your
>language one dark, summer night? Does it
>become male (in accordance to the original
>Spanish), or does it take on different genders?
>(Not sure how widespread burritos are . . . .)

Burrito is a he.
Computer is a he too, mind you, no neutral
gender for animals, nor inanimate things, not
as a general rule anyway.
Diet is a she (:D) (dijeta)
Pizza is a she, also.
So, I would say that in Croatian, a loanword
is submitted to the grammar rules of the Croatian
language. Same as Matija wrote for Slovenian
language.