[LMB] OT: was Gender, now couch, sofa, etc.

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Mon Sep 15 03:08:49 BST 2008

On Sep 14, 2008, at 2:12 PM, Alayne McGregor wrote:
>> Quoting Azalais Aranxta <tiamat at tsoft.com>:
>>> What's the difference between a couch and a sofa?
>
> On Sun, 14 Sep 2008, athagan at atlantic.net wrote:
>> I'm glad you asked that because I wanted to.  I've never understood
>> the difference myself.
>
> There's no difference. The chesterfield considers them both declasse.

What about davenport?  I think that's what my mother used to call
them.  My grandmother would occasionally say settee.  I presume these
are regional differences;  my grandmother was born in Kentucky, my
mother in the state of Washington--though I suppose davenport might
have been from my father, who was born in Wisconsin.  But I think he
now says sofa.  Aargh!

Katherine