[LMB] OT: gender applied to inanimate objects

Dorian E. Gray dorianegray at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 18:57:34 BST 2008

Harimad said...

> I'll see your "bureau" and raise you one "dresser."

That one used to confuse me dreadfully when I was younger and reading US
books - to me, a dresser is a piece of kitchen furniture, with cupboards and
drawers below and shelves above, for storing crockery and such.  I finally
figured out from context that your "dresser" is my "dressing table"...or is
it?  A dressing table has drawers below and a mirror above - if the item
doesn't have a mirror, it's a chest of drawers.  So which is your dresser?
Or do you use the term for both pieces of furniture?

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian (who loves language).
--
Dorian E. Gray
dorianegray at gmail.com
http://dorianegray.livejournal.com

"Fashion is gentility running away from vulgarity, and afraid of being
overtaken."
- William Hazlitt