[LMB] Loyal to what?

Peter Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Tue Sep 16 15:48:41 BST 2008

At 07:18 PM 9/15/2008, Raye Johnsen wrote:

>--- JenL <jenl1625 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> So duelling is more like drag racing than drunk
>> driving?
>
>I *like* that analogy a lot better than drunk driving.
> Because in drag racing, although participants have
>crashes and there are fatalities, all parties agreed
>to participate (definitely NOT the case with drunk
>drivers mowing down pedestrians); just as fencing has
>become a codified sport, there are codified drag races
>(it's called NASCAR); and I'm sure that half the
>problem with keeping up the ban against the Code
>Duello was the romantic stories people told about the
>duels fought in bygone days, the same way police and
>society are dealing with the consequences of things
>like the Fast and Furious movies.

Drag racing is managed, principally, by the National Hot Rod Association (NHRA).

NASCAR (National Association of Stock Car Autommobile Racing) runs track racing for automobiles which are (extremely) superficially like some manufactured automobile; originally, the cars were stock, but over the years they have become more and more custom built to the point that it is unlikely that any of the parts in a car were manufactured by the putative manufacturer of the car involved.  This is underlined by the participants in NASCAR referring to their cars by number ("the 88 car", etc.), not by make.

>I'm just thinking: sword/gun duelling has been illegal
>and uncommon if not nonexistent for the past two
>hundred years; yet I know how to issue a challenge,
>how to accept a challenge, how to refuse a challenge,
>on what grounds I may refuse, on what grounds I may
>not, how to issue a challege that may not be refused,
>how to select a second, how to act as a second, and
>how to act as the subject of a challenge.  And I'm
>sure I'm not unique.  This is *scary*.  Duelling will
>NEVER GO AWAY.

Neither will street drag racing, unfortunately.  In some states, an arrest for street racing includes an immediate confiscation of the vehicle(s) involved--and they don't get them back.

--
Regards, Pete
pgranzeau at cox.net