[LMB] Loyal to what?

alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca
Fri Sep 19 04:06:16 BST 2008

On Thu, 18 Sep 2008, Francis Turner wrote:
> I'm not sure that the English speaking world has ever been monolithic
> in that regard. Drunkenness at holidays has been a part of English
> culture for centuries no matter that the puritans, temperance, MADD
> folk etc.occasionally manage to get into government and try and ban
> it.

True, but the Methodists did actually have a notable effect in the late
18th and early 19th century. Before that, though, drinking was
never-ending part of English life.

Alayne

--
Alayne McGregor
alayne at twobikes.ottawa.on.ca

"Only the rigor and discipline of the delimited can create art. Musicologists considering
Bach, who worked within desperately restrictive format, will concur as will those
considering the sonata form. The sonnet and the eight-bar chorus of almost all popular song
and operetta give similar testimony. It was the very restraint with which science fiction
was cloaked from the outset which gave the genre its discipline and force." -- Barry Malzberg