[LMB] Loyal to What?

James M. BRYANT G4CLF james at jbryant.eu
Fri Sep 19 09:27:42 BST 2008

Francis Turner observes that:-

 >Drunkenness at holidays has been a part of English
 >culture for centuries no matter that the puritans,
 >temperance, MADD folk etc. occasionally manage to
 >get into government and try and ban it (booze).

And Alayne responds:-

 >The Methodists did actually have a notable effect in
 >the late 18th and early 19th century.

But before that hygiene, drainage and unreliable water
supplies pretty well ensured that people who did not
drink beer or wine rather than water died young of dysentery
and other water-borne diseases.

So abstinence was a very difficult option and most people
were slightly affected by alcohol for much of the time.

This is why I am so amused by modern advice to the pregnant
to drink NO alcohol. Excess is definitely damaging, but we
are all descended from mothers who drank for long enough
that intolerance to alcohol while pregnant has probably
mostly been eliminated from the genome.

James - who is sober this morning