[LMB] commodes

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Fri Sep 19 19:16:30 BST 2008

Dorian E. Gray wrote:
>> My paternal grandmother, a very proper lady, had one particular
>> "couch" she referred to as a "davenport."  From what I recall, it had
>> an arm on one end only, and the other arm was padded, so one could
>> stretch out on it.  I do remember her telling me to "go rest on the
>> davenport for a while"  when I was fairly young.  The implication was
>> that I could put my feet on the davenport, but not on the couches.
>>

> ::grin:: I'd call that a "chaise longue".

I think my grandparents used the word "Davenport" most often - not for a
particular couch or sofa, but for all of them.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davenport_(sofa).   "Chesterfield" is
similar in some locations.

Interesting to read how we vary from the French with
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaise_longue

I think "couch" first, "sofa" second.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Couch