[LMB] OT: I'm in Xenofilkia again!

Raye Johnsen raye_j at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 20 01:20:06 BST 2008

--- Elizabeth Holden <azurite at rogers.com> wrote:

> --- On Fri, 9/19/08, Eric Oppen
> <technomad at intergate.com> wrote:
>
> > My song "The _Battle Royale_ Song" is featured in
> > the new _Xenofilkia!_
> > I think I can speak with some assurance when I say
> that
> > I'm the only  person in the history of filking to
> filk about _that_
> > subject.
>
> What's the subject?

Considering that 'Battle Royale' is a Japanese novel
(that got made into a movie, that got made into a
comic book) set in the near future, where, every year,
a graduating junior high class somewhere in the
country is chosen by lot, transported to a deserted
island, equipped with an exploding collar and a weapon
each, and told that if they don't kill each other off
over the course of three days until there's only one
survivor, the collars will be triggered and they *all*
will die (oh, and this is all being video-recorded and
broadcast to TV back home, so the entire country knows
exactly what's happening), I'd say the theme of the
song is: nihilistic murder-suicide.

Yeah, I'd say Eric is the only one in the group with a
fic about it.  In my experience, fen as a whole tend
to prefer songs about things that end well.

Raye

raye_j at yahoo.com
http://windtear.livejournal.com
http://www.thejohnsens.com/index.html

I believe in dragons, unicorns, good men
and other mythical creatures.