[LMB] question about American weapons

B. Ross Ashley redlion at sff.net
Sat Sep 20 04:33:28 BST 2008

On Fri, 19 Sep 2008 19:41:48 -0400, Adam Ek <adamek at mac.com>
wrote:

On Sep>  19, 2008, at 19:11, Elizabeth Holden <azurite at rogers.com> wrote:

> > Now, I know there's a fine medieval tradition
> > So where does the tradition of naming weapons after girls come from?
> > is it purely fictional?
>

> I've read mountain man stories (early to mid 1800's) where some
> named their muzzle loading rifles. Bess or Betsy comes to mind.

"Brown Bess" (because the barrel was "browned", a controlled degree of rust, to reduce the shine) was allegedly the generic nickname for the English soldier's musket through the 18th Century.

And Davy Crockett's flintlock rifled musket, according to the Disney version of his life, was "Old Betsy".

--
B. Ross Ashley, who had a toy cap-firing Betsy when he was about 9