[LMB] question about American weapons

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Sat Sep 20 14:43:19 BST 2008

I have noticed that in various decades the nicknames given to U.S.
fighter planes may either be accepted or not.   Maybe they are more
popular when nicknames for people are more popular.

Modessitt has a spellsinger series where an American singer becomes a
sorcerous - and she named her horse which the locals thought was
odd.    I like that kind of thinking in an author, as lots of what we
accept as "normal" aren't as normal as we think.

I posted earlier about weeping becoming less accepted - and our
fiction has barbarians as stoic.   But we read about gnashing of teeth
and weeping of peoples in the past - where showing emotion was not
considered the weakness it is currently.