[LMB] Reading ricochets

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Sun Sep 21 20:14:05 BST 2008

Harimad said:

> I haven't finished a single version I've attempted:
> Le Morte d'Arthur, the Once & Future King, the Mists
> of Avalon; you name it, I haven't finished it.

When young, I quite loved the Arthurian saga, because it was medieval.  I read a lot of it.  Lately I've been finding all versions substandard.

Versions I liked:
Camelot
First Knight (yeah, I might be the only fan on earth who loved that one)
The Mary Stewart trilogy starting with The Crystal Cave
Sword at Sunset

And best of all:
Winter Solstice, Camelot Station by John M. Ford, which I love with a passionate passion

Mixed feelings, but mostly positive:
The Once and Future King (with parts I disliked and parts I loved)
Morte D'Arthur
The Idylls of the King
The Fionavar Tapestry

Versions I really hated:
Excalibur
Merlin (if that's the right title - the Sam Neill TV show)
The Mists of Avalan (close to unreadable)

There were things I liked about King Arthur  (e.g., Clive Owen) and things I hated, like Guinevere being imperious to the cold and the Sarmatian connections.

I think the Arthurian legend should be:
- romantic
- heroic
- set in a mythical 12th century, not the Celtic era

I'm tempted to write my own Arthurian novel just because no one else (except Ford) gets it right.

namaste,
Elizabeth