[LMB] question about American weapons

TGC tcollett at topazgryphon.org
Tue Sep 23 14:23:45 BST 2008

On Sep 19, 2008, at 7:11 PM, Elizabeth Holden wrote:
> Now, I know there's a fine medieval tradition of naming weapons (and
> perhaps also classical? even pre-classical traditions?) but as far
> as I know they always had male names, or gender-nonspecific ones.

"Charlemagne used to always call me Durandana, the fruitcake. All the
many implements of war to him were in some way feminine."
~ Durandal, AI from Marathon, a mid-1990s first-person shooter game
with an actual plot

I don't know just how accurate it is, but I have no reason to suspect
it of being wrong on this point.

Timothy Collett