[LMB] OT: Improved Apple Crumble (US: Cobbler/Crisp)

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Wed Sep 24 16:57:18 BST 2008

On 9/24/2008 Stewart Dean wrote:
>  Wonder what the standard single cookbook you have to have in other
>  countries....in America, it used to be the JoC, which was written by
>  a single mom during the Depression to support her family and became
>  the Bible of the US kitchen...it was updated to include blenders, but
>  until her grandson (or was it greatgs) took it up again there was no
>  mention of microwave, non-stick and the like....dunno, that's it's
>  quite as iconic today as it once was.

I had to look that up.  Joy of Cooking.   I never heard of it until the
mid 1970s.   My mother always had Betty Crocker.   I never knew any of
her friends who had more than a couple of cookbooks back then.     Now
it's amazing to go to a kitchen store and see thousands of cookbooks -
most of them I want to read.

I wonder what percentage of recipes in a multi-cookbook household get
made?   Or what percentage of cookbooks get used for cooking (as opposed
to being read for pleasure).