[LMB] Arthurian history

Raye Johnsen raye_j at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 25 01:23:59 BST 2008

--- Mireille <mireille719 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Diana Hagan
> <diana.hagan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Or think about common medieval concepts, like the
> lover wasting away from
> > unrequited love? Who thinks of romantic love that
> way now?
>
> A significant proportion of teenage girls? Think of
> the Twilight
> books, in which, when Edward leaves Bella, there are
> several *blank
> pages* in the book (I think with the names of months
> on them, like a
> diary page or something--I'm not going back to look)
> to indicate that
> without her beloved, she was nothing.

I won't say that's an incorrect interpretation - a
number of analysts agree that half the reason why
Bella is currently considered an extremely poor role
model is because she defines herself by her romantic
relationships - but the impression I got from that
(and online discussion with the author states this was
the impression she was trying to give) was one of deep
depression.  Not that she herself didn't exist (first
person narrative is actually supremely egotistical
because it assumes a) the narrator has a story you
want to hear, and b) that the narrator is important
enough that you want to hear what s/he has to say),
but nothing existed for her without her beloved.  And
I don't think that's an uncommon reaction to the
sudden loss of a truly loved lover.

> I have seen a *lot* of girls say that was Oh So
> Romantic.

I didn't think it was *romantic*, but I did think it
was *realistic*.  You love your partner, partner gets
killed in a car crash (which isn't what happened, but
the event was similar in its suddenness and permanency
for the character), you are *not* fine and hunky-dory
the next day.

Raye

raye_j at yahoo.com
http://windtear.livejournal.com
http://www.thejohnsens.com/index.html

I believe in dragons, unicorns, good men
and other mythical creatures.