[LMB] OT: Science & Technique of Pie Crusts

Ann Sharp axsc at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 26 03:34:21 BST 2008

> On Wed, 24 Sep 2008, James M. BRYANT G4CLF wrote:

> At four parts in 10 million, the outside relative humidity
> is more
> important.
>
> > James - racking his brains for a recipe where it does
> matter

Alayne:
> *I* can't think of any, outside of a chemistry lab.

Ann:

Well, right after WWII, a friend of mine married an Englishman and, living in California, sent care packages to her new in-laws.  They included as many mixes as she could find.  When they went to visit a couple of years after the wedding, she asked about the various items, to find out which ones were best received.  Everyone was happy with the cake mixes, but a query about Jell-O was met with polite murmurs.  Turned out that the Jell-O package directions called for dissolving the powder in one cup of boiling water and then adding one cup of cold, and chilling it until the stuff set.  The package was intended for a US, 8-ounce cup, and the cup measure based on the Imperial gallon produced flavored "soup."  She sent a set of measuring spoons and cups at the first opportunity, of course.

L.P.H.,

Ann