[LMB] Green Silk Room

Elizabeth Holden azurite at rogers.com
Sat Sep 27 13:35:26 BST 2008

--- On Fri, 9/26/08, Suzette Petty <suzettepetty at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Actually, I would think that Aral would have had strong
> reason to change the decor of that particular room (and by
> extension, I could see Cordelia redecorating it while they
> lived there if the room caused him pain).

I don't think it would cause him pain: I think its decor would be a sign of his own victories.  Yes, bad decisions were made there, but he short-circuited their effect and now he can make good decisions.  The room is bigger than a short spell of his history.  Presumably good men have used it before and good man can use it again now.  Its greenness is a brilliant touch that gives the image life, but it's no particular prejudice against the colour green as a decorating choice, or against other eras of Barrayaran history.

If Aral excised all the rooms that had bad connotations, he'd have to raze the whole palace: Mad Yuri used them all.  I think it would take more than redecorating.

What Aral did instead was change the course of history, eliminating the problem.

> I just think there might be a very good reason for Aral to
> redecorate that particular room (in part because it would
> speak volumes to anyone else who had participated in other
> decisions made in that room).

How so?

namaste,
Elizabeth