[LMB] OT: Science & Technique of Pie Crusts

Michael R N Dolbear little.egret at mrdolbear.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Sep 27 15:21:14 BST 2008

> From: Margaret Dean <margdean at erols.com>
> Date: 27 September 2008 13:33

> > Woolworths?  A supermarket?  Here in the US, where you can still find
them,
> > which isn't often, they're a five and dime type store (argh -- what's a
> > non-US-specific way to say that?).

> When I was growing up, we'd call it either the dime store (which
> is no help) or the five and ten (which might be, since it could
> be pence just as easily as cents).

Can't translate since Woolworths (now locally owned everywhere) has long
since discarded the business model that had all articles in such a store
priced at either 5 or 10 cents. This was probably three/sixpence in UK. I
recently came across "fixed-price shop" in Brit legalese (a oldish shop
lease) but things have changed and that would today (ignoring the history)
be taken as referring to "pound (or 99p,98p) shops", "dollar stores" in US.

Merriam-Webster has
five-and-ten = a retail store that carries chiefly inexpensive merchandise
(as notions and household goods) -- called also five-and-dime

And even in that Brits would have to have 'notions' translated to 'sundrys,
small useful items'.

Little Egret