[LMB] LQ #33: Mirror Dance, yes or no? (Thurs. Sept.25th)

Harimad harimad2001 at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 28 01:01:55 BST 2008

>> CatMtn at aol.com> wrote:
>> It's one of my favorites.  I'm not sure why seeing Mark's efforts
>> to become a human being with a family, and learning to give rather
>> than just take (or have things forced on him) was so moving, but it was.

> quietann wrote:
> It's one of my favorites for precisely this reason. [...]  It's a
> very tough book to read.  It treats Mark horribly, yet he grows and grows.

Shades of Cazaril's "Not all prisons are made of iron bars.  Some are made of feather beds"* comment to Iselle.  People who aren't challenged, don't grow.

Another reason I like MD is it's our first glimpse of Ivan as a capable adult rather than "That Idiot Ivan," which happens when we see him through Mark's eyes.  I'm not particularly an Ivan booster, as some on the List are, but I do like seeing him as an independent human being rather than Miles' appendage, straight man, donkey, and foil.

- Harimad

* quote approximate, I don't have the book at hand