[LMB] Jump drives

Francis Turner francis.turner at gmail.com
Wed Apr 1 16:26:00 BST 2009

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 4:31 PM, Joel Polowin <jpolowin at hotmail.com> wrote:

> I can't, of course.  But... Isaac Asimov: "The most exciting phrase
> to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not
> 'Eureka!', but 'That's funny...'"
>
> There's something funny going on here.  One can simply ignore it,
> or one can try to tease out some implications.  One possibility is
> that consciousness has some kind of 5space connection; perhaps
> this relates to that very special Cetagandan gene complex?

Ok so here's my theory of why, if we ever get an FTL drive (5 space,
hyperspace, teleport, other) we'll suffer when we travel.

The basic problem is that all these FTL methods involve a nearly
instantaneous change of state which means that all the atoms, all the
electrons even, in the body and hence in the brain have to suddenly
move in the same direction, a direction that they are unused to
moving. Almost certainly this means something is going to be left
behind. Probably not anything too important but it is going to cause
some neurons in the brain to fire in the wrong manner and that, in
turn, is going to cause symptoms of nausea and the like. If you are
asleep/unconscious you won't notice it so much because it's like the
random firing in dreams but awake it will of course be disorientating
and may in fact cause you to go mad

Francis

--
http://www.di2.nu/blog.htm