[LMB] AKICOTL--ON topic: source for Aral's honor/reputation line?

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Thu Apr 2 02:43:12 BST 2009

This post is for a friend and colleague.  She asks for "Help from all
experts. I have been using Aral's "reputation is what others think of
you; honor is what you know about yourself" idea to shape a paper on
Milton's Samson Agonistes. Is this distinction part of a longer
tradition? Google has been no help here; neither has the OED. I have
quoted Cordelia before in academic work, and I am perfectly prepared
to quote Aral, but I'll get less flak if there were a philosophical
source."

She posted on Lois's Facebook page, but there doesn't seem to be a lot
of traffic there, and I know there's a lot of knowledge on this list,
so I offered to post her query here.

Thanks for any leads anyone can offer!

Katherine