[LMB] OT: Fun

James cessnadriver at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 05:53:51 BST 2009

On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 20:47, Ed Burkhead <ed at edburkhead.com> wrote:
>> * The people who are starting college this fall were born in 1990.
>
> This by itself gives me pause.  1990 is RECENT!  It's almost yesterday.
> These newly minted ADULTS were BORN in that year!  How strange!

Heck, it's made even more obvious when I consider I'm of the age who
would've seen the original Transformers series in its first run (I
think I'm basically the youngest possible group to have seen it the
first run). And given the 2007 movie (and the one this year), it means
all of us are nearing 30 and older to have memories that go back to
the original series. Yikes.

> *       McDonald's never came in Styrofoam containers.
>
> Ah, those were the days.  The food sure stayed warm better. <sigh>

I still remember the McBLT... came in a two-chamgered container, the
hot side keeps the beef patties hot, while the other side kept the
lettuce and tomatos cool. I remember the portable oven and
refridgerator ads they used to run for it, and you'd put the two
halves together just before eating.

It was perhaps the biggest change I had to go through when I moved to
Asia in the early 90's - the food came in styro packaging, and when I
returned to North America, it was in the paper boxes that didn't seem
to work as well...

My addition:

* They grew up with advanced technology - game consoles were always
powerful, the Internet was always around, and cellphones were aplenty.

It's amazing how much has changed... and now I'm the in-between
generation - knowing how life was like before cellphones were
ubiquitous, or how we did stuff before the Internet... or even how
we'd all envy those who managed to get a Nintendo... Alas, it seems so
much has changed that we don't consider that people could live without
cellphones, that medical personnel (doctors, etc) don't have to be at
the beck and call of a phone 24/7, but instead relied on pagers, or
how parents and babysitters kept in contact and how emergencies were
handled (i.e., by discussing plans and where people would be, so calls
could be routed to the business in question who can then ask someone
to answer it..).

I guess I'm getting old when I like my time away from being reachable...

James