[LMB] OT: Fun

Katrina Knight kknight at fastmail.fm
Fri Apr 3 23:17:32 BST 2009

At 01:06 PM 04/03/2009 Elizabeth Holden wrote:
>I'd be curious to ask Trialia why she found the post irritating
>- did she think it was ageist stereotyping? - but I'm afraid to
>ask, because I don't want to anger her again.

I don't know about Trialia, but I can tell you why I find that
particular type of list mildly (and only mildly) irritating.
They always seem to make assumptions that the people being
discussed all have all the material stuff they could have and it
feels to me like most of them assume a large amount of ignorance
and lack of knowledge in young people. This one isn't as bad as
some I've seen.  Some of it is the way the items are worded.
Take "they have always had cable". Guess what, not all young
people grew up in a house that had cable TV for their entire
life. Plenty of people still live where there's no cable, can't
afford it or choose not to have it. Or "popcorn has always been
micro-waved." The fact that it is possible to microwave popcorn
doesn't mean that's how all popcorn is made. Most young people I
know know that popcorn can be made other ways and plenty of them
would catch cultural references to TV shows and movies that were
big hits before they were born. Saying "they don't remember a
time before cable TV", "they've always had the option to make
popcorn in the microwave" and "they've only seen Mork and Mindy
as reruns" would feel less like it was making fun of them. I
just don't find humor in making fun of people I've also gotten
sick of seeing things that assume all young people are the same
and not as good as those of us who are older. The post in
question was only mildly guilty of that, but life seems to be
full of the idea that today's youth are all greedy,
materialistic, self-centered, ignorant, etc. and that doesn't
fit with the young people I come into contact with. Some are
like that, but so were some of my generation both at that age
and now.

All that being said, I don't care if something like this
occasionally gets posted here. I'd object to seeing a lot of it
though.

--
Katrina Knight
kknight at fastmail.fm