[LMB] Apologies was...OT: Fun

Carol Cooper carolcooper at shaw.ca
Sat Apr 4 03:11:44 BST 2009

Trialia Xua wrote

> William, "I'm very sorry if sth upset/irritated you" is not an apology,
> and
> I think you know that. I didn't misunderstand at all. I was not implying
> you
> were saying my generation were "fogies"; what annoyed me in the forward
> was
> entirely something else. I think you're being blind to how ageist the
> thing
> is, at any rate.

I'm about ready to call 'pizza' on this.  I'm absolutely baffled as to how
anyone could find anything offensive in what was a gently amusing post.  As
one approaching 'fogeydom' (54) I found much to identify with and smile at.
It doesn't imply that people have all the things such as answering machines
- simply that the younger generation haven't known a world without them.
I've seen huge technological and cultural changes since I was at university
and I know my twenty-something kids have a quite different experience and
world view - that's absolutely natural.  I'm baffled by the direction this
thread has taken.  There seems to be total lack of communication going on
here so perhaps we should agree to drop it?
Carol