[LMB] OT: Generation Change, was Fun

Ed Burkhead ed at edburkhead.com
Sat Apr 4 05:19:35 BST 2009

Paula,

Fantastic list and perspective!

Yep, I grew up without all those things.

And, step by step, I grew along with all of them as they were added, one by
one.

My adaptation to them was probably facilitated by being a science fiction
reader.  Sometimes I've had a bit of confusion trying to remember if the
thing I wanted has been invented yet or not.

And, being a techno-geek, it's helped me dive into each new change with joy.

My wife, on the other hand, is overwhelmed by our recent transition from
analog cable TV (which overwhelmed her with 75 channels) to digital cable
with HDTV, Blue-Ray and a cable box with digital video recorder in it.

Looking at your list of things I didn't grow up with but have now, my
reaction is "YEAH!"

My feeling when I use those things is that, even though I knew pretty much
how each works, it's still like magic and it's fun to play with magic.

Ed

Paula wrote:
Hmm "People over X grew up without texting,
without the Worldwide Web,
without Instant Messaging,
without MTV, without 200 cable channels,
without WiFi,
without cellphones,
without digital video recorders,
without digital cameras,
without ATMs,
without ecommerce,
without epublications,
without books on audiodisc,
without antilock brakes,
without mandatory seatbelts,
without helmets on motorcyclist,
with lead paint,
without computers in classrooms,
without word processors,
without email,
without weather satellites and accurate storm warnings days in advance,
without Amtrak (though we actually had multiple railroads with effective
passenger service)
without communications satellites,
without highspeed data communications,
without desktop publishing,
without print on demand,
without desktop video,
without inexpensive video production,
without do-it-yourself video,
without webcams,
without cheap video cameras,
without xerographic copying machines,
without cheap color printing,
without cheap consumer goods from China,
without cheap digital watches,
without videogames,
without computer games,
without downloadable music,
without spam,
without computer viruses affecting
without home computers,
without women in the military being military pilots,
without hip replacement surgery,
without plastic surgery,
without organ transplant,
without high fructose corn syrup,
without sucralose,
without acai,
without stevia as commercial product,
without transponders for toll roads,
without Goretex and Polarfleece,
without LED flashlights,
without Compact Fluorescent Lights,..."
and, let's not forget, without contact lenses!