[LMB] OT: Generation Change, was Fun

Paula Lieberman paal at gis.net
Sat Apr 4 06:27:46 BST 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ed Burkhead" <ed at edburkhead.com>
To: "'Discussion of the works of Lois McMaster Bujold.'"
<lois-bujold at lists.herald.co.uk>
Sent: Saturday, April 04, 2009 12:37 AM
Subject: Re: [LMB] OT: Generation Change, was Fun

> This discussion does make me think about the world view of the young
> people.
>
> Growing up with the things listed by Paula and without the things in the
> original Old Fogies e-mail does make the average world view of young
> people
> different from that of us older people.
>
> My daughter, now 13, has been using computers since she was two or three.
> let her run around our neighborhood but use her cell phone as a link.  I'd
> let her have an iPod if she wanted it (I've got one, after all).  (It
> makes
> a difference growing up in the house of a techno-geek, something I did not
> do.)

Oops, there are a few more things I missed-- iPods and such, digital
organizers, Crackberries, cheap digital and analog video projectors,
solar-powered lights in yards, robots roving on Mars, Roombas, laser
pointers, PowerPoint presentations (shudder....), spreadsheets, inexpensive
computer graphics, Quicken, banking via the Internet, trolling on a massive
scale, flash crowds, raves, snowmobiles, Jetskis, low cost home studio audio
recording, webcasting, book videos (aargh....), Oprah,
vampire/elves/shapeshifter/paranormal-romance/urban-fantasy/goth chic
bestselling books and high ratings TV shows and films, McMansions and
McMansionization, mall rats, RFID tags, barcoding of everything, Wal-Mart
ruling the retail business, big box stores, instore supermarket bakeries,
giant supermarkets,20-screen cinemaplexes, March Madness in college sports,
and college football having a bowl game to determine #1, female professional
sports teams, female graduates of Caltech and Yale and Dartmouth and
Princeton and Notre Dame and the military academies of the United States and
male graduates of Vassar, divorce being legal and easily available
everywhere in the USA, two-adult-income households, Asian and European-built
cars outselling US-built one in the USA, offshored and outsourced offshore
jobs, television sets and computer display made almost entirely outside the
USA--for that matter, inexpensive flat panel cmputers displays, and flat
panel TVs, paganism accepted by governments in the USA as legally recognized
religion and with wiccan chaplains in the US military, polylingual product
instruction booklets and information as ordinary part of daily life in the
USA, quiet labor relations in agriculture and few strikes and little labor
turmoil regarding management versus labor; low levels of industrial
production versus sales and information technology and healthcare sector
jobs, climate warmup.... high level of not-repairable-by-user products, and
especially high degree of throwaway products which short lifespans.

>  But the details of how all these things work is a total blank to her.
> She's
> just now learning about the world, learning about science and technology
> in
> school, learning algebra, biology and hundreds of other things.

The basic raw materials to see how things made, are even less visible
today...