[LMB] AKICOTL: OT: Kindle restrictions?

Philip Johnson ptj at melesmeles.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 4 15:29:51 BST 2009

Kathleen Morrison wrote:
> If you can get anything in MobiPocket format, it can be read on the
> Kindle.  Hope that helps.
> Also you can d/l any Kindle format books on to any iPhone.
>
> On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 9:21 AM, Pat Mathews <mathews55 at msn.com> wrote:
>
>> According to Locus this month, Amazon is making sure you can't read anything on the Kindle you didn't buy from Amazon. IS that correct? because I've made up my mind to buy a reader and was all set on Kindle (a VERY close tie with Sony) until reading that. Can anyone enlighten me?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Pat
>>

>> http://idiotgrrl.livejournal.com/

Not quite. As I understand it (maybe I don't) Kindle does not suplly the
unique identifying number you need to register with sites (such as
fictionwise) that supply books in mobi format. Without this
registrstration, you can only download *non-DRM* titles from such sites;
a ny DRM titles from sources other than Amazon will be unreadable.
Evidently Amazon is now suing someone who publisg=hes a piece of code
which would enable a Kindle to supply such a number.

Phil the Badger

--
Never do for yourself what you can con an expert into doing for you.		Naismith: "On War"