[LMB] OT: Fun

Howard Brazee howard at brazee.net
Sat Apr 4 15:51:14 BST 2009

On Apr 3, 2009, at 2:05 PM, Elizabeth Holden wrote:

>> I went to see the play _Mama Mia_ and recognized one song -
>> but the audience was full of people who recognized every song.
>
> Doesn't just that depend whether you listen to the radio, or listen
> to music a lot?  I learned about Abba from my European friends.  My
> American ex thought they were the anti-christ, or at least the nadir
> of bad music, but I was never very sure why, but it did make me pay
> attention when the name came up.
>
> I tend to be musically clueless but I don't think this is age-
> related. It's just me.

I listen a lot - but not to stations that predominately play music
from younger generations.

Besides listening to oldies stations (from my formative years -
1950s-1960s, I listen to jazz stations, classical stations - and I
love theater music and standards.

As with lots of people, I never got interested in popular music from
generations subsequent to my generation.