[LMB] AKICOTL: OT: Kindle restrictions?

Michael R N Dolbear little.egret at mrdolbear.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Apr 5 00:15:31 BST 2009

> From: Mark Allums <mark at allums.com>
> Date: 04 April 2009 20:27

> Or, can bypass Whispernet and download to your computer and then
> transfer it to your Kindle.  This is also a hack, and it required a
> driver for your computer.  MAC OS X can already speak to Kindles
> directly, Windows 32-bit needs a driver.  I don't think there is a
> driver for 64-bit Vista.  This will allow people in countries that don't
> yet have Whispernet--and probably never will--get books for their
> Kindle.  Handy for travelers.

{and residents of Montana and Alaska which don't have Whispernet coverage
IIRC}

Not a hack, the method being described in the Kindle user guide as is the
Amazon URL from which you can download your Amazon bought content to your
computer.

http://www.amazon.com/yourmedialibrary

"This is the only method of transferring audiobooks and MP3 files."

It uses a USB connection to allow your computer to copy to the Kindle, ie
the same way as the Sony, Bookeen etc. do it, so it ought to be operational
on any modern PC or laptop. (I have never heard of any that won't accept a
USB thumb drive/ memory stick).

Little Egret in Walton-on-Thames