[LMB] AKICOTL: OT: Kindle restrictions?

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Sun Apr 5 01:17:24 BST 2009

Michael R N Dolbear wrote:
>> From: Mark Allums <mark at allums.com>
>> Date: 04 April 2009 20:27
>
>> Or, can bypass Whispernet and download to your computer and then
>> transfer it to your Kindle.  This is also a hack, and it required a
>> driver for your computer.  MAC OS X can already speak to Kindles
>> directly, Windows 32-bit needs a driver.  I don't think there is a
>> driver for 64-bit Vista.  This will allow people in countries that don't
>> yet have Whispernet--and probably never will--get books for their
>> Kindle.  Handy for travelers.
>
> {and residents of Montana and Alaska which don't have Whispernet coverage
> IIRC}
>
> Not a hack, the method being described in the Kindle user guide as is the
> Amazon URL from which you can download your Amazon bought content to your
> computer.
>
> http://www.amazon.com/yourmedialibrary
>
> "This is the only method of transferring audiobooks and MP3 files."
>
> It uses a USB connection to allow your computer to copy to the Kindle, ie
> the same way as the Sony, Bookeen etc. do it, so it ought to be operational
> on any modern PC or laptop. (I have never heard of any that won't accept a
> USB thumb drive/ memory stick).
>
> Little Egret in Walton-on-Thames

Kindle 2 is more restricted than original Kindle, but that is not quite
what I meant.  Amazon uses geolocation to detect where you are.  If you
are not in a place in the world where you are allowed to buy Kindle
books (and there are such places, due to restrictive copyright laws, or
some such excuse).

You can transfer books onto Kindle through USB, but only as files to
internal storage (and Kindle 2 does not have a SD card slot).  The hack
to which I refer allows your Kindle to use your computer's internet
connection directly itself,  without the intermediate step of
downloading to your computer.

Pretty neat hack, I'd say.

Google for it.

There a Kindle blog or six that explains it.

Mark Allums