[LMB] OT: Generation Change, was Fun

Meg Justus mmegaera at nwlink.com
Sun Apr 5 02:37:14 BST 2009

Janet in TN:
> I never knew ANYONE over the age of 25 who fixed their own car.

Datapoint.  My father, who was almost 40 when I was born in 1959, had been
fixing his own cars since he bought his first one back just after WWII.  He
continued to fix and maintain his own cars until he got to the point where
he was physically unable to (early 1990s).

One of my earliest (and most cherished) childhood memories is of "helping"
him overhaul a carburetor.  I think I was about five.

I admit that he's probably a datapoint that ruined the curve, but still, a
datapoint.

> Also they were not electronic, but had raised letters and numbers that
> made a purple imprint on the receipts when pressed in the pressing
> device.

Heck, that's still done now at outdoor booths at fairs and so forth where
it's not possible to do an electronic hookup.  Credit cards *do* still have
raised numbers on them.  At least mine still do.

> The military had be desegregated earlier by President Truman.  Public
> schools were in the process of integrating.  Bathrooms and water
> fountains were segregated in some parts of the country but not others.
> I remember seeing signs labeling them for white or colored while on a
> trip, and thinking that was very odd.

My parents pulled my sisters out of the public schools in New Orleans about
the time I was born because of the integration issues.

Megaera