[LMB] OT: Generation Change, was Fun

Raye Johnsen raye_j at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 5 02:48:48 BST 2009

I was reading this thread with my mother over my shoulder.  Mum was born in 1946 and was a surgical nurse until the mid-1970s, and she asked me to pass on this message:

As someone who has seen most of these developments happen in her lifetime, Mum sees each thing that we have (or no longer have) as progress.  Consequently, to her, these lists are reminders of how far we've come and how we can't let ourselves backslide.  As one of the nurses on the ward during the first Australian hip replacement, she definitely doesn't want to lose our medical technology!  To her, this isn't ageist or condescending as much as it is, "Wooh, look how far we've come in such a short time!"

Raye

raye_j at yahoo.com
http://windtear.livejournal.com
http://www.thejohnsens.com/index.html

I believe in dragons, unicorns, good men
and other mythical creatures.