[LMB] OT: Unwanted presents, was Generations, was Fun -

Pat Mathews mathews55 at msn.com
Sun Apr 5 14:28:25 BST 2009

Malfoy described the self-centeredness (or simple cluelessness, add I) of people who give you what they would have liked themselves. My favorite example of that, for all time, is the parade of gifts my senior cat has been giving me since I adopted him. "Look, Mommy! Aren't you proud of me, your Mighty Hunter?"

Reminded of it because he hasn't brought home a thing since early March. I wonder if the old boy's slowing down a little?

And BTW - I really do think in some cases it's cluelessness, which is of two kinds: First, the person with no theory of mind whatsoever. S/he's freaked about, say, Roman coins, so everyone gets a gift of or lecture on Roman coins. The second is the person who is marvelously socially functional and knows everything about what to give a wife or a grandmother or the boss or whatever -- but is so aggressively normal that s/he fails to see that Mom or Grandma or the boss is an outlier and really doesn't WANT those things that every other boss or grandma in the world wants, but would be thrilled by (frex) a trip to the Museaum of Roman Coins. Or to Worldcon. Or whatever.

Just my $0.02, but that really did remind me of the gifts Dufus Claudius brings me, in season.

http://idiotgrrl.livejournal.com/