[LMB] OT: bicycles, phone lines

Katherine Collett kcollett at hamilton.edu
Sun Apr 5 19:40:34 BST 2009

On Apr 4, 2009, at 11:47 PM, jelbelser at comcast.net wrote:

> today. So were bikes and  walking.<<<
>> Public transportation, yes.  Walking, yes, up  to the bus stop.  Only
>> kids rode bikes for  transportation.

My father, a college professor, rode his bicycle to work for decades.
I remember when I was in elementary school (early 1960s), I used to
meet him in the village at noon sometimes to ride home with him for
lunch, perching on the crossbar of his bike.  He may have stopped
biking to work before he retired in the early 1990s, but I wouldn't
count on it.

And Mary wrote:

>> Never  knew anyone who had one.  By 1959 they existed only in
>> extremely
>> rural areas.
>
> M:  We were pretty rural, but not THAT rural.

Actually, a local friend just went off a party line a few years ago,
here in a college town in upstate NY.  Granted, it is pretty rural
here on the outskirts of town.  She stopped because the telephone
company no longer offered the service, I believe--and I seem to
remember that the one other party on the line had switched to a
different service a few years earlier (mid-90s or so)--so while my
friend's family technically had a party line, they were the only party
on it.

Katherine