[LMB] Apologies was...OT: Fun

Peter Granzeau pgranzeau at cox.net
Mon Apr 6 00:23:09 BST 2009

At 02:56 PM 4/4/2009, Margaret Dean wrote:
>On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 10:07 AM, Peter Granzeau <pgranzeau at cox.net> wrote:
>
>> I remember my manual typewriter somewhat fondly, although it was recent enough to have plastic keys (in 1953).  It was so cheap it didn't have a one key or a zero key (lower case ell and capital oh served, instead, and I had a real problem when I began using a computer keyboard).  No tab key, either.
>
>And I'll bet you created an exclamation point by using the backspace
>key to position an apostrophe over a period, yes?  :)

I'd forgotten that!  Yes, of course.  Diereses/umlauts were, of course, created by a backspace and double quote, as well, and the apostrophe also served for acutes.  One needed to be very inventive with the minimum keyboard.

Typing was also a matter of learning to stroke the fingers deeply enough to hit the paper, and then to learn to hit each key with roughly equal force, in order to make the text look decent.  Electric typewriters removed the need for either of those requirements, of course.  While in college, I wrote everything on Coresible Bond, which could be erased with a pencil eraser (and obviated the need for white-out, too).

My mother had an old Remington portable--you can see what the works looked like at http://www.flickr.com/photos/ghb624/1288012846/.  It was still there, ready for use, when she passed on in 1991.

--
Regards, Pete
pgranzeau at cox.net