[LMB] Just read... _The Obesity Myth_

Nicholson, Sue S.E.Nicholson at massey.ac.nz
Tue Apr 7 07:10:30 BST 2009

Harimad said
I recently read an interesting article in the Economist ....  The author of the study in question thinks that the modern trend toward obesity isn't about HFCS or junk food, he thinks the cause is processed food.

Me:
This reminds me of a book I read recently by Michael Pollan, who also thinks that processed food is a problem. Points out that for the first time in history we have people that are both obese and malnourished and that nutrition is a complex thing; some of his points were very interesting - it has changed the way I read labelling anyway.  A couple of points where I had to think "Oh yes but he's talking about the US, not New Zealand" (our meat production in particular is very different, being virtually all 100% pastoral) but I'd recommend it as an interesting addition to the nutritional discussion.

The book is In Defence of Food; The Myth of Nutrition and the Pleasures of Eating. By Michael Pollan.

Sue N