[LMB] OT Minutiae (from several threads)

Susan Fox selene at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 7 19:40:42 BST 2009

About Gout actually...

Gout is all about Purines.  Not a big part of the lower class diet in
olden times, when only the rich folks could afford stuff like animal
proteins on a regular basis.  Animal proteins from dead animals
specifically;  dairy products do not contain muscle matter, ergo no
purines.   The po' folks who got only porridge and occasional meat and
veggies in season had their own problems but high gout risk wasn't one
of them.

Apparently, high fructose corn syrup is also high in purines.  Not
trying to open a can of worms here, just saying.  Wikipedia's Gout
article cites the following:  Gower, Timothy; Johnson, Richard R.
(2008). /The Sugar Fix: The High-Fructose Fallout That Is Making You Fat
and Sick/. Emmaus, Pa: Rodale Books. pp. 304. ISBN 1-59486-665-1
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:BookSources/1594866651>.

After reading up on gout, I have decided I'm against it.

Susan Fox / Ma Foxti
selene at earthlink.net