[LMB] OT: Generation Change, was Fun

Harimad harimad2001 at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 8 16:52:07 BST 2009

> Pete wrote:
> Then there's cash.  You can't use $100 bills anywhere (they just
> won't accept them), and $50 bills are nearly as hard to use.

Because I prefer cash and getting my cash from real people, I get $100s with some frequency.  Most places I go to will take them if they can, especially if I ask "Can you break a $100?" first.  No doubt it helps that I live in a big city.

In the US, cash is legal tender for all debts public and private, meaning that if you incur a debt the store has to either take the bill (and give you change!), or allow to you leave.  Stores are not required to allow you to incur a debt.  So, if you drink your Coke in line at the 7-11, they have to take the $100 or let you leave the store.  (They can try to make you promise to come back and pay.)  But a FedEx shop sign that they don't accept cash at all is legal.  The legal status of stores taking only small bills is still in question.

- Harimad